Why Pick an ACA Accredited Camp?
Bearskin Meadow Camp (BMC) is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA) and is a proof of our commitment to safety and accountability for our camp programs . The ACA has 50 years of experience in developing and administering a standards program developed specifically for camps.
While our other programs are not currently accredited, DYF utilizes ACA standards and best practices and resources to guide our policies, procedures and operations at ALL of of our programs.
Why is this accreditation important?
- DYF is accountable – we comply with up to 300 industry-established health and safety standards.
- DYF continues to seek accreditation and use ACA standards as a guideline for our camps because we believe it helps us to maintain a safe, quality environment for our campers and staff.
- DYF utilizes ACA resources such as a Crisis Hotline available 24/7 during the summer season, provides ongoing tutorial in best practices, and provides a regular, independent health and safety audit of our camp.
- Educates DYF in the administration of key aspects of camp operation, program quality, and the health and safety of campers and staff
- This accreditation helps BMC manage risk areas, evaluate our practices, and develop critical thinking skills in our staff.
- Establishes guidelines for needed policies, procedures, and practices
- DYF has access to experts in many fields: The American Academy of Pediatrics, American Red Cross, etc., continually work with ACA to improve our camp standards program.
- The Standards program is the result of collaboration and review by experts from many fields — risk management, child development, aquatics, and health care.
For more information on this program and the camp accreditation program please visit ACA’s website at http://www.acacamps.org/accreditation.
DYF is also a founding member of Diabetes Education & Camping Association (DECA). Please visit their website at http://www.diabetescamps.org.