Giving a gift of appreciated securities (stock) is a great way to support the programs and services of the DYF. There are two significant benefits to those who make these kinds of gifts.
- In most instances, you are entitled to deduct the full market value of the stock from your taxes.
- You can avoid paying capital gains taxes on the appreciated securities.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A GIFT OF STOCK OR APPRECIATED SECURITIES?
- We ask that you or your broker first contact DYF to inform us of your intent to make a gift to DYF using stocks. We will ask you to provide the following information: • Your name, address and telephone number • The name(s) of the stock that is being donated • The number of shares of stock being donated • The number of shares being donated
- We will then provide you with the information on our brokerage account and the steps you will need to take to make the transfer to our account.
- After we have received the stock in our account, we will provide you with a written receipt of your donation, which you will need for tax purposes.
- If you prefer to send the actual stock certificate, you will need to speak to our broker directly after providing DYF with the above information, since donating actual stock certificates requires a special form to ensure that the transfer is accomplished correctly.
If you have stock that has depreciated in value, you can still support DYF. To maximize your benefit, sell the stock and contribute the proceeds to DYF. In most cases, you can then receive a tax deduction AND a capital loss deduction. To ensure that you qualify for this program, please consult your financial advisor on all tax related matters.
For more information, please contact Paula Gogin, Director of Development, at 925-680-4994 ext. 104 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.